Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursdays are for Transit Tales

It's about a 20 minute train ride for me to work every morning. I used to read a book or magazine or just listen to music to pass the time, but ever since I started knitting socks that is my activity of choice. They are small and convenient and easy to pull our and knit a few rounds on in the morning and afternoon. I carry one in my purse at all time, as it also helps pass the time while waiting in like at the dmv or bank.

Knitting on the train I've had a few unique experiences. Normally people will look at you and then ignore you, watch you out of the corner of their eye, or just plain stare at you. None of this bothers me and I just knit along listening to my music until my stop, and get off. Here is the sock I'm working on now:
















Trekking XXL, I forget the color. Plain sock pattern.


I was riding the train home the other evening sitting in one of the seats next to the door that faces the seats opposite me. I had my sock out as usual and was knitting away. A few stops after I got on a lady and her friend got on and sat across from me. They talked for a stop or two while eyeing me and then one of the lady's took some crocheting out of her bag and started working on it. I noticed and gave it a look and smile and continued knitting.
Now I'm not a very fast knitter with less then a year under my belt, but I go in fast spurts punctuated by slower ones when I look around me or get distracted or miss a beat in my rhythm. The lady across from me was a VERY fast crocheter. I haven't been around many other crocheters and she was just whipping along. I tired sending a smile her way without luck. Then I noticed something. As I knit faster she crocheted faster, and as I slowed down she did a little as well. I swear the woman was racing me. Seriously. It was totally amusing. I tested my theory and sure enough, yep. Race on lady.

No comments: