Friday, January 25, 2008

Lace, Take 1


branching out
Originally uploaded by
millsar
Reading through other blogs on the internet and looking at what everyone else is knitting, I was charmed by the lace. I had never tried to knit lace before, but wanted to give it a go, and the branching out pattern from knitty promised to be easy for a beginner. I started it just after Christmas, and I've been working on it sporadically ever since. While not difficult, lace does take some concentration. I've learned a few things while working on this scarf.

1. Lace takes focus. If you get distracted you will loose your place on the chart and mess up.
2. I am distracted very easily.
3. Most of the time I knit, I'm doing other things as well. Watching movie, listening to music or podcasts, talking on the phone, playing with my cat.
4. This does not mix well with lace knitting.
5. Since I do these things most every evening as a way to wind down, I find myself craving something simple like something in plain garter or simple straight stitch socks.
6. That means that the lace knitting gets push to the weekends when I can really sit down and focus and pay attention to what I'm doing.
7. Progress is slow.
8. Sticky notes on the chart to keep my place help, but takes time to move, and if I don't, and get distracted, then I've lost my place anyways.


I'm knitting branching out with knitpicks palette, which is probably thicker then normal, but it's helped with dealing with all the k3tog for the first time. I've since gotten distracted by some kidsilk haze, which I'm finding fiddly to deal with, and wishing my needles were more sharp. The scarf is already riddled with errors, but I refuse to rip and just keep pushing forward. I want the joy of blocking, and can live with errors. Maybe I'll knit it again in the future when I understand lace better and don't have such an aversion to frogging my knitting.

No comments: