Thursday, January 31, 2008

state street

Our current office looks on to state street. This supplies endless sorts of interest and activities. There are tons of protests happening in the city that I had never known about until I started working here. We hear everything that goes by, from the fire truck sirens to the random crazy person yelling at people, to the endless protesters. Usually the protesters are in a loose group and it's always unclear what they are yelling and what they are protesting.
Just now though, a small group of people, 6 or 7, dressed in bright orange suits went by. I think they were yelling 'stop the torture now'. Two of the people were walking as if they were handcuffed. They had black hoods over their heads, and when waiting for the light to change to cross the street these two people waiting on their knees.
I don't have a tv, and I tend not to listen to the radio news very often, so I'm not certain what torture they are protesting. Is it something happening locally? Or the on-going government torture of alleged terrorists? Maybe something else. Either way, for such a small group of people it was intense, and effective.

No comments: