Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Knitting

So as I had said, I learned to crochet when I was young. Then I did nothing for many years. In high school I took up crocheting again, and each winter I would make a new afghan and a few scarves. Except for the last afghan (still waiting for one last strip which has been half done for about a year now and needs working on) they were all variations of granny squares. All of them done in cheap acrylic.
Then about a year and a half ago I decided I was going to learn how to knit because I had seen this pair of cabled arm warmers I was lusting after, and just couldn't make them happen in crochet. I went out and got myself a learn how to knit kit, figured out the knit and purl stitches, and then set out to make a scarf. On size 6 needles with LionBrand Homespun. This was the wrong way to start in soo many ways, but I had no idea at the time. The homespun is tricky to knit with in the first place, and I was knitting it with needles too small, and knitting too tightly, dropping and making stitches all over the place, and when i was done I has a scarf that waved in and out and curled in on its self and was pretty stiff. I ironed it flat, and wore it a few times, and that was that. I didn't knit again for a year.
In May of last year I graduated college and my aunt gave me a beautiful cabled purse and it re-ignited my interest in knitting. Shortly after I took a trip to Peru, and while there in a little town called Huarmey, I bought a bunch of yarn and some knitting needles and started back up. From there I'm not sure exactly what came next. Either I had found one podcast or one blog abut knitting, and they in turn talked about a lot of blogs and podcasts about knitting. I discovered the Yarn Harlot and set about reading all of her posts from the start of the blog to the current. It took me a while but I've just caught up. I listen to Cast-On, Stash and Burn, The Knitting Cook, Sticks and String, among others, and many many blogs. I discovered good yarn, Ravelry, my local yarn shop (Loopy Yarns), and a huge knitting community that I love.

And now, a few pictures of things I've knit recently.

Some thrummed fingerless mittens adapted from the yarn harlot's pattern.

Also from the yarn harlot, an unoriginal hat.

Recently my dad slipped on some ice while plowing the driveway and fractured his hip. I quickly knit him up a few things to keep him warm and cozy while he recovered. A pair of fuzzy feet (pattern on knitty.com) made from knitpicks wool of the andies, and a simple ribbed house hat out of lionbrand cheneille.

No comments: