Monday, January 28, 2008

Starts, Finishes, and the Drive Inbetween


Friday night I finished my train socks and cast on a new pair, this one the jaywalker pattern. I also joined a gift-a-long where we will knit 5 items a month for gifts, so when Christmas rolls around there won't be that late-night last-minute rush to get everything knitted in time. I only listed one thing for January since I joined with barely a week left, which is the baby kimono from Mason-Dixon Knitting for my future cousin, due in July.
I've recently joined a gym. Since I was young I've always been involved in one sport or another which has kept me in decent shape. Skydiving, though, is not an aerobic activity. You can be young or old, skinny or fat, in great shape or terrible shape and still be a skydiver. The top competitors tend to be in excellent shape because it takes endurance and some muscle to train hard all day long, but if you're not going for the gold in open class it's not exactly a necessity. And so, over the past few years I've slowly fallen out of shape. This past summer living on the dropzone was probably the worst offender on my cardiac health, as I mainly indulged in beer and pizza when I wasn't jumping out of planes. I briefly tried out a gym in the fall, but I find it hard to motivate myself to walk to a gym just to hop on a machine for 30 minutes and be bored. It lasted about a week.
Then one of my friend's sent me a link to the gym she just joined. No cardio machines, no weight machines, the gym only offered work out classes. The classes sounded like a lot of fun too so I went to try out a class and joined. The classes are a lot of fun, and it's easier to get motivated to go, and since I'm not locked into a membership, I'd be wasting my money if I don't go, which is another motivation. Also, the one class I took to try the gym out kick my ass. Kicked my ass in the kind of way that says, 'if you don't start working out you will die of a heart-attack at age 30'.
I had a class Saturday morning and afterwards planned to drive up north to check out a bead store, after which I would then drive south to go to the nearest Michael's to get the yarn I needed to finish the baby kimono.
Energized from an hour of circuit training and equipped with directions to the store I headed out. For some reason the entire north side of Chicago was out and about in their suv's Saturday at noon. I have no idea why. It was snowing and cold and I couldn't see why on earth they would be out at this day and time (my mother has since pointed out to me that most people go shopping on Saturday and noon is about when most of them make it out of their homes). This meant that it took me twice as long to get there, and then when I finally did I simply could not find parking anywhere. For some reason I had it in my head that this bead store had it's own parking lot (i was obviously thinking of another bead store) and confused by the one-way streets, it took me a good 20 minutes just to confirm to my dismay that indeed there was no parking lot for the bead store. At this point I was so fed-up with the streets and the people and the traffic that I said 'screw this' and turned back the way I came. I would get my beads at the craft store. I finally made it to the craft store, walked out with more then I had intended or needed, and headed home. Note to self, no more shopping excursions on Saturday afternoon.
I was able to finish the baby kimono (it's blocking/drying right now) and made myself some stitch markers. So it was a pretty productive weekend.

No comments: